Buying a smart phone or mobile phone is always a tricky proposition. Here are some tips from our experts for buying a used smart phone or mobile phone.
- Physically inspect the used smartphone. Watch for damage to the body, like dents and scratches, as well as water damage. Be especially mindful of scratches on the phone and on the camera lens at the back. Take your time with this, don’t rush it. If you are buying a unibody phone where the battery can’t be removed, the water damage indicator is usually placed in the SIM card slot. The best way to find out the place of the indicator on your model is to google it.
- If It Opens, Open It. Any flap, cover, port that can be opened—like a push-pin slot for SIM or microSD cards—needs to be tested so open it and check that it’s fine.
- Check all the ports. Pop your own headphones into the handset and check if they are working. Connect the charger cable you got to your laptop and see if it’s charging by that port. If it charges by laptop, it’s going to charge by wall socket. Then run these checks with the packaged accessories too.
- Pop in your SIM card. Make a call, send a text, and browse to your favorite website. It’s the best way to check those parts of the phone are working well. If the phone is locked to a network and your SIM isn’t from that carrier, you’ll find out immediately with this simple test.
- Run the service code test. Each smartphone has a service code that you can use to access a special menu to check whether different parts of the phone are running. Google it to find the one for your device. For example, typing “*#0*#” (without the quotes) on the Samsung Galaxy S3 will start the LCD Test to check different aspects like your touch screen, dimming, speaker, cameras, receiver, vibration, RGB, sensors, and more. Go through each test to make sure the components of the phone are working fine.
- Buy used smart phones from trusted seller. Finally it always pays to guy from a trusted and professional seller. At jnp.ae we are committed to providing our buyers of used computers and used mobile phones with best products possible.
More in this category: How To Buy a Used Smartphone or Mobile Phone »